1. Roast 250g of whole damsons in an ovenproof dish for 30 minutes at 150C.
2. Pour the brown juices from your meat into a roasting tin, skimming off most of the fat (you could then use this for your roasties!).
3. Add a chopped 2cm slice of ginger and 2 minced garlic cloves to the roasting tin, setting it over a low heat for a couple of minutes.
4. Add 2tbsp of soy sauce, 2tbsp of sugar and 4tbsp of water and the cooked damsons and simmer for about five minutes, crushing the fruit with a spoon.
5. Push your sauce through a sieve to remove skins and stones and then return to the pan to thicken slightly, if desired. Taste and add more sugar or stir in some redcurrant jelly, if desired. Pour over your cooked meat and serve, leftovers can be stored in sterilized jars.